Saturday, November 27, 2010

And now what you all have been waiting for....


*cue drum roll* My take on the new Harry Potter movie:

Well after going to class last Friday, going to work and then taking a 4 hour bus ride home I went to see Harry Potter with my friends. Now after all of this I was fully prepared to fall asleep during this movie. But honestly, I was pleasantly surprised the movie wasn't that bad. Now when I say it wasn't that bad that's pretty good for me for any of you who know me or read my disclaimer post. It followed the story line pretty well except for a couple of really weird things that they added for really no apparent reason.

The point that I was waiting for the most was the "introduction" of Bill Weasley which like I said in the last post even though he has been in the books starting at the third one he has been in none of the movies. So basically Bill randomly shows up out of nowhere when they go to rescue Harry. The movie glazes over it really fast with a whole "Hey this is Bill our older brother" "Oh hey nice to meet you" "Likewise" and Fleur chiming in with the whole "Oh look at these scratched that that one werewolf gave you." The end of that story that plays a HUGE roll in the sixth book. It was a this part in the movie that I literally yelled at the movie screen and then felt the eyes of everyone in the theatre on me as well as the elbow in my ribs from my friend.

Then obviously there was the fact like in everyone of the Harry Potter movies they leave things out that are important. And this one even though it did better than the other ones, left things out that were important. I know a lot of people who haven't read the books were lost through a lot of it, especially the scene when they were in Godric's Hollow and Nagini is attacking them.

Another thing that I didn't like about it was that the scenes in the tent really dragged and the whole dancing thing I thought was really cheesy the way they portrayed it. I even dosed off a little bit through parts of the tent scenes though that might just have been because of my long day.

One thing that I really liked about this movie was the portrayal of the Malfoys. I loved how they showed them so scared but still falling in line with Voldemort. I think a lot of that had to do with the amazing acting skills of Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton. The part where Voldemort take's Lucius' wand was just how I pictured it in the book. Jason was great at showing that fear it his eyes (which I think are soooooo gorgeous by the way).

So all in all there were some good parts, and there were a lot of bad parts. But I think that this is the best movie so far. Most of that though is do to the fact that they made it into two parts. And the funny thing was I knew exactly what part they were gonna stop on, when they were leaving the Malfoy's and then Voldy getting the Elder Wand (sorry if I just ruined it for anyone, but you really shouldn't be reading this if you haven't seen the film yet).

So in parting I think that everyone should go see this movie even if you are like me and despise the movies to their very core. If nothing else you can be like me and pick apart every little detail. Can't wait for Part 2. :)

2 comments:

  1. There were two parts left out that I was very upset with: Ron screaming Hermione's name while she's being tortured and putting clothes on Dobby as he's being buried.

    Ron and Hermione really come together in this book, and at the point where Ron can't save her as Bellatrix has at her really seems make Ron recognize his feelings. His screaming her name while being locked in the dungeon just breaks my heart in the book. Instead we get a tiny scene of their hands almost touching while they sleep. Stickily sweet.

    Though Dobby got a great speech ("Dobby is a free elf!"), they sped over his burial too quickly. We didn't need Harry to say he wanted to bury him with no magic in the book, because it was written well enough to show that. Having him say it in the movie made me feel talked down to. And why didn't they take the time to show everyone putting clothes on him? Such a sign of their respect and thanks - totally left out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. The whole scene at the Malfoy's in general was too rushed through. I was excited to see how they were going to do it and for me it definitely didn't live up to how I pictured it in my mind. It is such an epic scene and I think the movie kind of ruined it, just like then ruin almost every other epic scene in the movies.

    ReplyDelete